Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Nehemiah 1

On Sunday, Steve started a journey through Nehemiah and challenged us to join him over the next few weeks. So, I started reading yesterday in Nehemiah 1. I love verse 4 because it shows a brokenness, a dependence, and a real faith that I so long for.

First, when Nehemiah heard of the news of his people in Jerusalem, he became broken. "As soon as I heard these words I sat down and wept and mourned for days..." I heard the news of a friend who is battling cancer the other day and what the outlook is for them, and my heart broke. Yesterday, I read the news of Britney Spears trying to hang herself. Now, Britney is not a friend, just a celebrity from afar, but my heart still broke for her because she desperately needs to know that there is a God who loves her and wants her to run to Him. These are just two examples of brokenness that I have experienced lately, one for a fellow Chist-follower and one for someone who is in a downward spiral and as lost as can be. I want to have a sensitive heart more often toward my brother or sister and toward the lost!

Second, I see a dependance and a faith in Nehemiah. He goes on to fast and pray "before the God of heaven." I so long for this in my life! If you read through Nehemiah, you'll notice that as his journey unfolds, his consistent response to anything is to pray first. WOW! How much different would things be if I only would respond in this way? Don't get me wrong, things will always go wrong because we live in a fallen and imperfect world. But, my attitude will change. I've been reading through Dave Ramsey's book The Total Money Makeover and in it he says that dealing with finances is 20% head knowledge and 80% attitude. I would go a step further and apply this to everything in life. Our attitude is HUGE!

I had a good friend, Dan, who battled cancer a few years ago. I'm convinced that his attitude and his faith are what made his recovery go so well. I've even heard of doctors say that they notice patients with positive outlooks respond to treatments a lot better than those that don't. My point? Attitude can make or break a situation.

God, for my friend that is battling cancer, please wrap Your arms around them. Let them know that you're there to take care of them and their family. I also pray for a miracle of healing. Regardless the outcome, let You be glorified! I also pray for Britney Spears and the countless multitudes out there that feel alone and abandoned. I pray that they will come to know that You love them and that You want to pour out Your love upon them.

Let my friend and Britney hear the words of the old hymn:

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

1 comment:

DEBTective said...

Bub, I'm big-time proud of you. Thanks for spreading the word about keeping the faith and working for The Man Upstairs. Thanks for getting the word out about getting control of your cash and doing the Dave Ramsey plan ... it makes tons of sense. Here's looking at you, kid. www.debtective.com