Friday, January 26, 2007

Behind the Song: There Is Joy

We recently introduced a new song I wrote called "There is Joy" at TrueNorth. The response has been overwhelming as more and more start catching on to it. So I thought I'd do a little "behind the song" and let you know how it came about.

I got the idea middle of last year to do a song about joy. I'm not really sure why except that I have never written a song on joy. As I got to thinking about it, I started reflecting on the environment of celebration and worship at TrueNorth on Sundays. And it hit me: there is joy in this place. But why? Most songs I've seen on joy talk more about the fact that I have joy, but not much on why we have joy. And there came the next little bit: it's Your love, it's Your grace, it's You.

And that was where the song started and stayed for quite a few months. I heard Matt Redman say once that a song has to brew like a good cup of tea. (of course, he's British, and Brits are the masters of tea!) I would compare it to a good gallon of sweet tea. You've got to boil the water and let it steep for at least 24 hours to really get the flavor going. And then, you add sugar and water to produce the truly great southern drink we all know and love! In other words, these words, this half chorus, brewed in my heart for some months before the song flowed out one day.

It all has been inspired by the environment of praise at TNC. I am so blessed to be apart of this church. Not many churches have such a dynamic worship experience every week. So, thank you TNC for inspiring this song in my heart!

Can you feel it in the air, it's thick in here
It's the Presence of the Holy One
Can you hear the sound of voices singing out loud
All this for our One and only King

There is joy in this place
It's Your love, it's Your grace, it's You, it's You
Hear our praises now resound
We're lifting up a joyful sound for You, for You

Make a joyful noise and shout (yeah yeah yeah)
Clap your hands and shake the walls in here

There is joy in this place
It's Your love, it's Your grace, it's You, it's You
Hear our praises now resound
We're lifting up a joyful sound for You, for You

No comments: