Monday, May 14, 2007

Day 6: The Sound of Silence

I've been reflecting a lot on silence and what its importance is in our relationship with God. Silence is not a discipline we practice much in our society today, with all of the distractions coming at us. With our iPods, cell phones, computers, televisions, and many other things, we have made it very hard for ourselves to escape the noise of life. Even children's toys make noise...very irritating noise at that! Often my kids have come to me with toys that aren't designed to make noise asking me to fix it because it's broken!

So why is it so important? Why should we practice it? Here's a post I did last year on this very topic...

Something that is very important, but takes a lot of practice, is being still in God's presence. It’s very unnatural for us as humans in today’s society to be quiet and still for more than half a second. We are busy creatures with busy schedules.

Practicing stillness is learning how to listen to God. So many times we go to God and talk His ear off, telling Him how we see life. How often do we ask Him how HE sees life? Believe me, I’m the worst on this! I’m ashamed at the number of times I go through the “drive-thru” with God. I place my order and then go on with my day. How I wish I would take the time to listen to Him.

The awesome thing is that when we start listening to Him, He does an extraordinary thing…He reveals Himself to us. The scripture says “Be still and know that I am God.” We begin to encounter the Creator of the universe as He gives us a peak at how great and phenomenal He is. And that is where worship starts…it starts with revelation from God. Then we can’t help but respond with all out praise and adoration.

God- teach us how to be still before You so that we can see You in all Your glory. Teach us how to listen to Your voice. Reveal Your glory to us so that we can respond with highest praise and honor! Amen.

No comments: